Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Day at the Getty Villa in Malibu, California

These are old pictures taken back on February 24, 2010. My sis and I visited the Getty Villa in Malibu, CA to see the ancient Greek and Roman statues and artwork displayed. This was my sister's first visit and my second visit to the Villa. Situated on a hill overlooking the beautiful clear waters off the Malibu and Santa Monica coast, the building, a replica of an old Greek temple, features art that has stood the stand of time, theft and vandalism.

The great thing that was about living in Los Angeles, are the abundance of art showrooms and museums strewn throughout the city. Nearby Van Nuys is the grand ol' J. Paul Getty museum, and in the Wilshire district, there is LACMA and MOCA. Downtown has the Japanese American Memorial as well as art galleries displayed by local artists.

Since coming back to Malaysia, I haven't had the time to go to some museums but I did venture into a tourist center in Melacca which I will share in another post.

Below you will see the pictures that I took as well as my running commentary. Greek and Roman mythology has always fascinated me ever since I was a young kid, most of the myths I still remember even til now! Those Ancient folks may have smoked some wild janga back in the day.

Zeus, the Greek God of Thunder & Lightning
a.k.a 'the dude who tries to screw everybody
 including his own family members'


The Vase and the Figurine are both of Athena, the Greek Goddess of Wisdom,
or known to the Romans as Minerva;
She was also known as the Virgin Goddess or aka 'that chick who had a semi-lesbian fling that may have been reciprocated if her love interest hadn't died'


Why, hello there.
I think this was a young Hercules sans penis.
Didn't really pay attention since I was too busy wondering what happened to his missing organ.


A closeup of his beautiful bod
How did that tagline go again? "I Want that Bod"


Bust of Emperor Augustus (born Gaius Octavius), the first Roman Emperor;
Julius Caesar's nephew, adopted son, heir to the throne and rumored lover


Outdoor Mural with Fountain


Close up of the fountain


Replica of a lady unsuccessfuly covering herself

It was a great trip to the museum and I really enjoyed myself. People who go to LA and visit the museums tend to miss this one out because they don't know that it is free and nearby. Tickets are free but visitors must reserve the entrance tickets by going to the Getty Villa's website and selecting the available dates. I think that the most number of visitors allowed in one day is 60 or less (I may be wrong) so as to not disturb or interupt other viewers from enjoying the art work.

No comments:

Post a Comment